Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Switching from Networking to IT/SysAdmin work.. bad move?

I started off in the trenches like a lot of you.. I worked at Comcast doing Internet Tech Support, then transferred to their Network Abuse department, and later moved to an MSP where I did a handful of jobs like Deployments, Desktop Support, etc. I decided I was sick of fixing printers, windows machines, and phones, and so I got my CCNA. After that I worked in a NOC as a Tech II for about two years and it was awesome. I absolutely loved only being responsible for the first 3 layers and not having to worry about whatever stupid error Excel was giving the user or whatever.

However, my NOC shut down and I had to look for other work. I got my Security+ and toyed with the idea of really trying to get into infosec, but it's not going to happen overnight. I haven't had much luck with the Network Administrator jobs I applied for, and I don't feel quite qualified enough to be applying for Engineer level jobs (maybe if I started on the path towards my CCNP first). So I interviewed with an MSP and was offered an IT Consultant job (Tier 2). I've accepted the position and start next week. This place mostly supports smaller businesses, so it'll be more common to be working on workstation issues, Microsoft Server issues, AWS, etc., then straight up networking issues like I've been used to. I've heard nothing but great things about this particular company so I feel pretty good about that, but I'm just nervous about what I'm getting myself into. I look at r/sysadmin and I just panic. There's soooooo much stuff to learn it seems absolutely overwhelming. The networking world seems so much more manageable.. just keep moving up the chain with Cisco certs and you'll be good! (or so I've told myself..)

So I guess my question is, have any of you guys done something like this before? Was I just spoiled in my NOC position and I need to learn all this other shit anyway? Or do I listen to my gut and just start studying for my CCNP sooner rather than later and try to get an engineering position and try to stay warm and cozy in the nice, comfortable, familiar bottom layers of the OSI stack?



No comments:

Post a Comment