Saturday, March 31, 2018

sfp+ networking/cabling but layer 3 connectivity?

We are upgrading our small business network and adding a small SAN/NAS device using freenas to have shared high speed storage. I'm looking at upgrading the networking as the 1gbps network is already maxing with the number of file transfers and vm's we have on the network.

I've done a lot of research and it appears that if we get a sfp+ switch, cards and cables then the layer 2 is taken care of but I can't seem to find how the IP network (layer 3) is setup to work on top of that. Can anyone point me at resources to understand more how I can get that rolling?

Also, I've read that RDMA direct memory access helps greatly for VM's and I wonder what direction I can take to make this part of what we are setting up for the networking. Budget is about $30k and there are 6 physical servers and about 50ish virtuals doing various functions.

Any suggestions for network design would be greatly appreciated on this. More info, this is %100 internal network used for dev/qa, sql server, exchange, filestorage, etc. Our production network is AWS/cloud so it doesn't really figure in this. We use sonicwalls for our outbound network but will probably have to upgrade those soon as the business is growing quickly.



No comments:

Post a Comment