Thursday, March 22, 2018

Securing large amount of very small networks

Before I begin, I would like to say that I am not trying to receive any sort of hand-outs or have my work done for me, but more as a discussion of topics/technologies and the like, since I have already done a bit of research.

I have started a new position and am tasked with ensuring that 50-200+(I say this because it is growing exponentially) small networks are secure as can be for a good cost. PCI compliance is the main pressure point at this time. Right now, the firewalls in place are not ideal, so this seems to be the biggest aspect requiring change. Each network really only has about 4 devices connecting to the network, plus a few IP cameras. No one really uses the internal Wifi, and there is no guest Wifi. It also MUST have the ability to run a failover seamlessly. I was looking into cloud security platforms that could bring Firewall as a service to each location, but this does not seem ideal and I could not really find a good company that has this sort of thing for inbound traffic.

The main point of the post would be thinking about the benefits of just having singular small firewalls at every single location(I've been looking into a Watchguard T35 since it allows failover circuits) or if maybe an SD WAN could be the way to go? Can an SD WAN even replace a firewall as a whole? Would managed security services be worth recurring subscription costs?

I'm thinking a small firewall at each location is probably the best bet since it's what I'm used to, and each of the small networks don't need to interact with each other whatsoever. I do need to take into account implementation as well, since firewalls at each location would have me going all over the country for installs(this is why I was hoping a cloud based network security would work).

Thanks in advance for any insight!



No comments:

Post a Comment