Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Sapling Master Clock STR-2000. Endless source of frustration does anyone have any experience?

We utilize a Sapling STR-2000 series master clock. According to the manual it is hard coded to get it's time from an old NIST server that is no longer in service and it uses the daytime protocol. After discussing with support I was advised to change the server it connects to using an application called DSManager from Tibbo to an active NIST server. Watching a packet capture on the clock's network port, I see daytime protocol request and responses but then after an hour or so the communication breaks down and stops communicating. NIST mentions not to connect to their servers more than once every 4 seconds (or something like that) so I was thinking maybe they have put something in place that stops persistent connections to their servers. As a test for that I setup an internal LINUX server running daytime (xinetd.) Again I would see the daytime request/responses however the clock is not updating it's time. I even changed the daytime output to match the exact format that NIST servers send in their response. I've been through the programing Manual for this unit time and time again. Thinking I must have a setting off somewhere.

Bottom line, does anyone have one of these devices that is currently operational and functioning correctly and would you mind sharing the settings you use? I would appreciate it very much.



No comments:

Post a Comment