Friday, March 23, 2018

[RANT] Unicorn Solutions

I really dont understand why people build such complex and nonstandard solutions. The number of times Ive walked into a business with several routing protocols redistributed into each other or a bash script that triggers only when an ip sla goes down to change a firewall rule that does NAT or using hundreds of static routes in PBR to mess with the way traffic flows... Why? I mean, I get it if thats the way the network has evolved and its temporary but to be designed like this from scratch. I did some work for a vendor for a while and the feature requests they got were insane. "I know this is only supposed to be a wireless access point but say I want to run BGP on it for our DC..." ... Seriously? People who do this? Why? If its pressure from management, just say no. If its your own curiosity, save it for your lab. If its to save money, itll end up costing you more in support.



No comments:

Post a Comment