Friday, March 16, 2018

Opinions about the Juniper EX4300 switch for use as a core switch

Hello all!

We recently had our Adtran 1544 core switch die (no power). I quickly replaced the switch with a cheap Unifi switch to get us back up and running. I am now looking at replacements and I like the Juniper EX4300 series, but want to hear about opinions or if you believe it is right for our environment.

We have 1 main location (about 200 clients) and 4 other offices (20-200 clients) with a point to point back to our main location. The 4 other locations tie back into an Ubiquiti EdgeRouter back at the main location and heavily rely on services that the main location hosts. I would really like to introduce some redundancy to our network. I was lucky to have our Adtran switch fail during non-working hours. Had it failed during working hours, much of staff would not have been able to get work done for around 3 hours while I worked on getting the new switch in place. Juniper's Virtual Chasis feature looks like it would be perfect for redundancy.

I am also looking into L3 switches. As I look for more ways to introduce redundancy to my network, I think it would make sense to use this core switch to connect my point to points and Internet to my EdgeRouter and Firewall (OPNSense). This way I can set up VRRP with my EdgeRouter and CARP with OPNSense.

I am interested to hear about everyone's opinions on the EX4300 and my proposed design. If you have any suggestions for my environment, that would also be helpful. Please keep in mind that my organization does not have a lot of money to spend. Cisco products are most likely out of the question.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment