Saturday, March 31, 2018

Issues with passive DWDM setup when adding channels

We have a 50km DF run between two sites that we are using in a passive DWDM setup with colored optics. For the past couple of years we have had 10x10g channels active and everything was working fine. Recently we tried adding two more channels, however, when we did that we started seeing CRC errors on some of the existing ports. The basic layout is as follows

+-------+ +-------+ | |---->EDFA------------>| | | MUX | | MUX | | |<------------EDFA<----| | +-------+ +-------+ 

My knowledge of optical networking is extremely limited and I am kind of at a loss of what to look at to troubleshoot this issue. One thing I considered was that we could be running into issues with dispersion and I was wondering if adding a DCM to the mix might help. Has anyone run into a similar situation or do you have any suggestions of things I should be looking at? Also, if anyone has any recommendations for good reading material covering optical networks to get me up to speed I would appreciate it.



No comments:

Post a Comment