Wednesday, March 21, 2018

HP 1920S Switch - Creating LAG

Prelude:

(The "S" is important in the model number. I've done this multiple times with HP 1920 switches by editing a text configuration file and uploading it to the switch using TFTP, no problem. But the 1920S only allows web GUI configuration, no ssh, no telnet, no console port, etc. Also, it doesn't seem to allow downloading or uploading plain text config files. I get an error when I try to upload a config file from a plain 1920 (without the S) and when I download a backup copy of the running config, I get some 13MB non-plain text file that isn't helpful to me.

The other problem I have is the Web UI menu for the 1920S is very different from the 1920. So when I'm searching Google I get a lot of hits on how to configure LAG on the 1920 switches. On the 1920 switches you go to Network, then Link Aggregation. But the 1920s doesn't have those menu options. In fact, I can't find any LAG or link aggregation menu options anywhere on the 1920S. From what little information I have been able to find, it seems like HP was trying to make this model more "user friendly" but it's ended up confusing the hell out of me)


I have two HP 1920S switches and I'm trying to create a LAG connection between them on ports 47 and 48 on both. I've tried the following steps on both switches, but it ended up creating a network loop and broadcast storm, so it's good I was working on it in an isolated network.

  • VLAN -> Configuration -> Add
    • Create vlans 100 and 200
  • Trunks -> Configuration -> Select TRK1 -> Select "Edit"
  • VLAN -> Port Membership
    • Select VLAN 100 from drop-down menu
    • Select TRK1 and choose "Edit"
    • Change "Participation" to "Include"
    • Change "Tagging" to "Tagged"
    • Select VLAN 200 from drop-down menu
    • Select TRK1 and choose "Edit"
    • Change "Participation" to "Include"
    • Change "Tagging" to "Tagged"

I connected port 47 on switch 1 to port 47 on switch 2, and the same with ports 48. I plugged a workstation into each switch, configured the ports the workstations are plugged into to vlan 100, gave each workstation a unique 10.0.0.x address with 255.255.255.0 mask, and they can't ping each other.

I don't know if I'm missing a step, if I'm doing these steps in the wrong order, or something else. Obviously I'm mostly a novice with this, so I'll appreciate any help anyone can throw my way.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment