Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Host to Switchport Mapping

I've got this feature request from our CIO that I'm starting to grasp at straws to try to find a solution for. Maybe you all have heard of something.

Management wants to have some software that they click on a switch, and see what desktops are connected too it. This kind of functionality exactly. I've looked at Solarwind's Orion UDT Plugin but UDT does not support our Aruba/HPE switches. HP IMC has the functionality of doing real-time location and even historical tracking, but you cannot just click on a switch and see what's connected. You need to know the IP/MAC you're looking for.

Meraki has this functionality! Yay! right? "No, that's expensive Skirek, keep looking". Management is good to me. I want to do this for them. We're getting ready to do a refresh on switches in the next year so if I had to swap vendors, it's not out of the question. Just Meraki, because $$$. Our Layer 2 network isn't complicated so I don't really care what vendor we use.

I could move to different vendor of switch and use UDT, I suppose. Or maybe I brush up on my Python and build my own webapp, whiskey and bourbon. I don't like hookers.



No comments:

Post a Comment