Thursday, March 15, 2018

Hardware choice (router, switches) for internet connection sharing and privacy

Hi fellow geeks and nerds, I have a problem which is borderline home-use, but needs entreprise-grade hardware and advices IMHO, so I hope I'm at the right subreddit. I know some things about networks but I'm not a pro so I apologize if my question is not clear, I will try my best.

I'm in charge of updating the hardware on an installation whose purpose is to share an 1Gbit symmetrical internet connection with 52 apartments. Until now, the routing was done by a debian box and the switching by crappy D-link switches (1 per floor, 7 floors). My goal is to replace it by an entreprise router and separate the clients via pvlan for privacy (think hotel-style internet sharing).

The goal is to provide an ethernet port in each of the ~50 apartments to share internet access (no wifi till this point), then my job is done and it is the responsability of the "endusers" to add wireless or not to their home.

The router should have an home-grade firewall (we don't have anything more to hide as any home), but should be robust and able to constantly route for up to around 50 clients simultaneously. Then the switches should be pvlan capable (or equivalent) for privacy.

What kind of hardware do you recommend? which brand should I use to maintain price down while achieving the goals I have? I could invest around 1000$ for now and could invest up to 3-4000$ in total within 3 years, but not much more.

It is extremely difficult to find information about this subject, which is surprising to me as I thought connection sharing was quite popular. I'm sure a solution to my problem can be useful for others who also have such a plan.

Thank you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment