Thursday, March 22, 2018

Handling Guest WiFi

Long time, first time. This is probably a better Moronic Monday question, but I'm having a hard time articulating my concerns.

My company is looking to provide "guest" wifi at our remote locations. The goal is to give employees and customers at these locations internet access for personal devices - kind of like a coffee shop. Management would like to set up a Cisco 3502i AP at each location. Guests would authenticate through a central 2504 WLC and then have the remote AP send guest data out an interface on the remote router. I have a quick mock-up for how I think it would work if we went this route:

High Quality Design!

I'm concerned this is either 1) overly complicated for what we're trying to provide or 2) not doable. I'm trying to push for wifi access on Comcast gateways at each site. I think it's the simplest way to do this, especially where we already have a Comcast connection at each site. The only drawback I can think of is we'd be unable to throw up a captive portal when users join the network - something management would like to have.

If the captive portal turns from "would like" to "must", doing centrally switched guest wifi was my next suggestion. Management is concerned about how this would affect bandwidth usage on our WAN. I thought we could apply QoS to the CAPWAP traffic to mitigate this issue. That seems to be a common way to handle guest wifi based on what I've read.

Am I wrong? Is locally switching the AP at each location possible? If so, is it a good idea or a bad idea? Could guest traffic cripple a WAN connection if it's centrally switched? Wireless isn't exactly my forte and any help would be great.



No comments:

Post a Comment