Friday, March 23, 2018

Google Home WiFi and a Cisco switch

Howdy all, probably a dumb question here, but I've acquired an old 10/100 switch from the office (Cisco 2960, circa 2010) and wish to use it to hardwire a lot of my home devices.

It looks like the Google WiFi system (only one pod for now) does its own DHCP for my wireless devices, so my question is, can it hand out IPs to downstream hard wired devices if I plug the Cisco port 1 into the Google WiFi's LAN side port (WAN to fios)?

I've got the switch reset to factory with a few PWs where necessary, and no IP addressing thus far. Figured leave it unaddressed a la a DMZ, and the Google will hand out the IPs. Anything else I'd need to consider here? Planning on trying this out when I get home tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment