Thursday, March 22, 2018

Cisco wireless with IPv6: Privacy extension address keeps changing, connections dropped

We are running a fairly standard deployment of 8.3 code on our WLCs. I am testing IPv6 with SLAAC which resides on an SVI on a Catalyst 6840. Clients assign themselves addresses and life is good. However, instead of the privacy extension aging itself out gracefully, the client just generates a new address every 1800 seconds or so. Since the private address is used for outbound connections, these will drop. If I connect my laptop to the same VLAN over wired, I don't have these issues. Cisco says our config looks fine and that this is expected behavior, but that doesn't sound right at all. Anyone running Cisco wireless with SLAAC?

If I set ipv6 nd ra lifetime 9000 (max), I do maintain connectivity longer, but it still forcibly drops the connection which is less than ideal.



No comments:

Post a Comment