Thursday, February 22, 2018

Why might WebSocket connections be dropping across all my different clients?

I manage our network for our small company, and I'm trying to troubleshoot what I suspect are some network issues.

We use Slack for internal messaging, and we're finding that the WebSocket connections for Slack drop pretty regularly.

The Slack engineers believe it's some sort of networking problem, but I'm not even really sure where to start.

The modem from Comcast is connected to an old HP ProCurve Switch 1810G Series--I have no idea how old it is. It was here when we moved into our office space years ago. I reset it to factory defaults a couple weeks ago, and that did seem to clear up the issues for a couple days or so, but then the WebSocket drops started reoccurring again within a couple of days.

3-5 wired workstations are connected directly to the ProCurve switch via Cat5e in the wall and drop ceiling. We also have connected, via different Cat5e runs, three different Airport Extremes: two 6th generation, and one 5th generation, in an almost equilateral triangle, each maybe 60 to 75 feet apart from each other. These just act as wireless access points. Anywhere from 20-30 wireless devices altogether tend to be connected to the three AirPorts during peak usage during the workday. 802.11b and 802.11g devices are prohibited from connecting to the AirPort Extremes. Only 802.11n and faster are allowed to connect to the network, as per each AirPort's settings.

Each AirPort Extreme is set up just as a wireless access point, so they each have the same SSID and WPA2 password.

These WebSocket drops happen on the wired and wireless workstations similarly, so my initial hunch is that something's going on with the ProCurve switch.

I'm looking for any kind of guidance to diagnose the problem so I know what to replace, repair, or reconfigure. My initial hunch was to swap the ProCurve for something newer and/or swap the 5th gen AirPort Extreme with a 6th gen AirPort Extreme. Beyond that, I'm clueless. Any ideas?



No comments:

Post a Comment