Friday, February 16, 2018

VLAN tagging and a shotty network

I’m a big noob when it comes to networking, but I was asked to assist in fixing our new wireless network with brand new Cisco Merakis. We had a consulting company do most of the setup, now they no longer work with us and no one documented anything.

For a while we were having constant disconnects, the authentications would fail (with AD), and the network would randomly crash and have to be rebooted. After days and days of googling and reading the manual, I decided to turn off some settings and see what would happen. First one I disabled was VLAN tagging. Everything now works perfectly. Not a single hiccup for 2 weeks now.

Can someone help me understand why this would fix our network?

Edit: disabled VLAN tagging on the access points



No comments:

Post a Comment