Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Using an HSRP VIP as a GRE endpoint and use the tunnel endpoint as a BGP neighbor IP?

I had someone ask me if you could use a HSRP VIP as a tunnel endpoint and as a BGP neighbor IP. Their thinking was that by including all of your HSRP VIPs in one group, you could insure that the VIPs used as default gateways were always on the router that held the GRE endpoint to a remote router AND where BGP would be advertising routes to.

I wasn't even sure you could configure a GRE endpoint to be a VIP (you can), and if the GRE tunnel would follow the VIP (it does). At least it works if I can believe a 7200 image running in GNS3.

I figured that BGP would freak out if it saw a neighbor IP suddenly switch from one router to another, but it doesn't seem to care.

In short, it seems to work exactly like you'd think. If you flip the VIP from router 1 to router 2, the GRE goes down on router 1, and comes up on router 2. The router on the other end sees BGP to router 1 drop, and come back up with neighbor router 2.

I have to admit that this is a simple solution to a vexing problem, but I assume this is not any sort of a supported configuration, at least in Cisco world, correct?



No comments:

Post a Comment