Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Small Business Design - ubiquiti?

Hello,

I was asked by a relative for advice on upgrading their small network infrastructure in a single office. This is a very rural area so any local professional service of this type is extremely poor as I've seem firsthand as my parents run a large garage operation in the same area. I've been out of this type of work for quite sometime (currently working in defense industry) I seen it as an opportunity to have some fun and get them some decent products.

If this belongs in homenetworking i apologize in advance as this is a very simple network but is a business.

Network consists of:

  • 12 workstations
  • 2 severs
  • 15 IP cameras - large warehouse area
  • multiple mobile devices

Everything is running on typical "home" consumer gear right now and after a little research I like the looks of ubuquiti's products. I first looked at Cisco's line of SMB products but I had problems in the past supporting multiple RV120's and it doesn't look like (based on reviews) that things are much better now.

  • WIFI ** x2 UniFi AP AC Lite
  • Router ** UniFi Security Gateway
  • Switch ** 24 Ports Ubiquiti UniFi Switch

Some of these managed features will likely go unused for such a small environment but there is added value with VLANs for IP cameras and VPN access on the Gateway as he once inquired about having one setup. The GUI menus also look very user friendly which will be beneficial as this individual will be the one primarily managing these devices. He worked in IT at a young add and has always managed the network and computers within the office.

If anyone has any advice regarding these products or design I would appreciate it.

Also if there's another vendor I should be focused on please let me know.



No comments:

Post a Comment