Thursday, February 15, 2018

Slow speeds caused by switch?

Let me first state that I am far from a technological professional, I'm youtube educated when it comes to building my own home network. With that being said, I am running into speed issues somewhere. Bear with me as I walk you through this with what little knowledge I have on the subject.

I recently bought a Cisco SG200 and this TrendNet patch and a Netgear Nighthawk and went to work setting up my gigabit home network including a security camera system.

Ran all the cabling (cat5e). Got all of the cabling punched into the patch, and wired into the switch. Tested each drop as I was terminating them to see if 1. I had internet, and 2. It was the speeds that I pay for from Comcast (gig). Everything checked out and I was getting gigabit speeds. Finished all that up and did the cameras too.

Went to run a speed test when all was said and done and I am getting 1.2Mbps down and 2Mbps up. I know IP cameras can take up a lot of bandwidth but it shouldn't be that much. Nonetheless I disconnected all the cameras and the NVR (camera equipment) from the switch to just run the internet, still slow speeds. So I tried to isolate the switch by running straight from the patch to the modem, and it wasn't even picking up internet. Just kept giving me "Unidentified network. No network access." Which makes no sense to me, from what I understand the patch should be transparent.

Defeated and confused, I plug everything back into its spot on the patch and switch and I have internet again, but still slow. Contacted a buddy of mine who is smarter than I in this area and he suggested logging into the modem to see if I could find settings on the port...couldn't. He also thought DHCP settings would be the problem, Netgear Genie failed again, nowhere to be found. So he thought maybe the switch was requesting DHCP and turns out that the 200 series of switches does not have being a DHCP server as a feature.

So I have no clue. I'm open to all suggestions, comments and criticisms and will take pictures and videos walking through what all I've done if need be.



No comments:

Post a Comment