Friday, February 9, 2018

Simulation for HTTP/P2P (BitTorrent or Gnutella) Comparison

Hi, I am a university senior finishing a CS major and am looking at doing an HTTP/P2P comparison as my capstone project. Since the campus network blocks P2P transmissions as much as it can (and rightfully so), I have been sniffing around for methods to simulate a traditional client-server distribution network vs a P2P (BitTorrent or Gnutella) distribution network, in more or less the same environment. I am looking mostly at more or less the normal networking metrics, e.g. throughput, reliability, scalability.

Problem is I can't seem to find a simulator that has support for both types already built; most seem to be either one or the other, or were abandoned in 2005 and no longer really work.

There are some out there that let you define your own topology (ns-3), but I would rather avoid having to build my own implementations due to time constraints.

Would anyone happen to know something that fits these guidelines? I've done research on it but I don't really know what I am looking for. Free is preferred due to having a whopping $50 budget for this project, but we can make other things work. Hopefully this isn't breaking sub rules, sorry if it is :<



No comments:

Post a Comment