Wednesday, February 14, 2018

SDN for the Access Layer?

Hey everyone,

I've been on the prowl for an SDN solution to try to keep our access layer switch costs down. We're due for a refresh and I would like to buy a ton of whitebox or bare metal switches at low cost instead of buying a ton of new Cisco gear.

Unfortunately, my search has been pretty fruitless. I've found a lot of SDN providers that offer some pretty great solutions for the datacenter, but our datacenter is far too small to reap any sort of reward from utilizing SDN (we're talking 6 physical switches, stacked/VSS to 3 logical ones). I have found next to nothing for anything outside the datacenter.

We are a medium sized business with 22 access switches and 6 core/distribution switches. I don't mind managing the switches via CLI and NCM, but my employer is looking for cost savings because our refresh is looking to be upward of a quarter million dollars. Do you guys know of any SDN solution that can provide useful tools for both the datacenter AND the access layer?



No comments:

Post a Comment