Friday, February 2, 2018

Maintenance Windows

I'm curious what your company's policy is in regards to maintenance windows. The last couple of companies' I've worked for didn't have a rigid policy. Was really anytime after 5 or 6pm. When I started in IT, I learned real fast that it's best to not do anything on a Thursday or Friday since I didn't want to risk ruining my weekend. So I usually chose Tuesday or Wednesday to make changes.

My current employer has a philosophy that changes should only be made on Friday, usually at 8 or 9 pm or later. That way if there are issues, you have all weekend to work on it.

I realize my philosophy is probably selfish since it favors me not having to deal with something on the weekend and I see my CIO's point of making sure there aren't problems during the week since he's the one who is the face of IT and has to answer for it.

I'm just curious what other companies have as their maintenance window policies.



No comments:

Post a Comment