Thursday, February 22, 2018

Looking for advice with DHCP and MAC reservations

Hello,

I work in an environment that employs DHCP MAC address reservations. Traditionally this was handled by linux DHCP servers operating on each subnet but I've recently migrated several subnets to active directory integrated DHCP.

I've now discovered that with AD DHCP I no longer have the ability to configure multiple MAC addresses to use a single IP address. This was a capability I had when DHCP was hosted on linux, I simply had to define a new host with a different name, desired IP and mac. Now I find myself having to assign multiple IP addresses and an alternate hostname in DNS.

The common example lately: newer Dell laptops are no longer compatible with the old "port replicator" docking stations, everything appears to be moving the direction of USB-C docking stations. These USB docking stations appear as a new network interface in the OS. In this situation, I'd really like to be able to create two DHCP reservations and assign the built-in/LOM mac address and the docking station mac address to the same IP.

I'm not crazy about the idea of moving DHCP back to a linux system but I'm keeping that in mind as a last resort. Any advice/assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you!



No comments:

Post a Comment