Saturday, February 17, 2018

Just took CCNA today..tips

I took the combined CCNA exam about an hour ago. I did a bootcamp a few months ago, been going through the test bank questions (Meaureup, the Cisco-recommended one) for the last couple of weeks. I thought I was prepared. Nope. First, there was a whole lot more "do this" than "what's this". In other words, be prepared to do a lot of command line work on the exam. Tab for auto-complete does not work, but ? and abbreviations do. As an example, my first question was setting up a numbered ACL to fill certain conditions like letting HTTP traffic through to a certain server from a certain host, but nothing else. Know all the protocols. I saw several abbreviated protocols that I was like wtf? Know IPv6. Know what a valid IP6 address looks like (be able to pick a valid address out from invalid ones). Know about broadcast, multicast and link-local messages. Most importantly (at least for me), once you submit an answer, you cannot go back and look at it again. When taking exams, I usually skip questions I am not sure about, then go back and do those later because often question 53 will give you part of the answer to question 27. Note: While I review network configs as part of my job, I dont write them. There is a big mental difference between being able to edit someone else's work and writing your own. I need to spend more time doing labs.



No comments:

Post a Comment