Thursday, February 1, 2018

Introducing an Internet Gateway into existing LAN

Hi, I am trying to introduce a firewall in the form of pfSense computer into my Network. I first will describe what kind of setup I have and what I want to end with.

Existing Setup: A Computer I will call DHCP-Server. It is connected to my local network on one card and the internet on anothe card. The DHCP-Server thereby also acts as an gateway for all computers in the network to the internet.

What I am going for: I now want to release the DHCP-Server of being the gateway to www. The task should be given to the firewall, which is basically a computer with pfSense, as I said. So I connected the firewalls WAN with the www and LAN is basically a DHCP-Client. The DHCP-Server is setting the default route to the IP of LAN. The client also changes his default route to the IP of the firewall. Now for some reason this doesn't work. What works is setting pfSense to be the DHCP-Server for LAN. In that case, clients have access to the internet.

Do you good people have any idea where I went wrong or missed something? I am not even sure if my problem is the config of pfSense or DHCP-Server.

Cheers Jan



No comments:

Post a Comment