Wednesday, February 14, 2018

HP Scanner and VLANs

I have an HP scanner on VLAN A and the server that it scans to on VLAN B. This was a fresh change that was made a couple of weeks ago, however, scanning doesn't happen that often which is why it was never looked at/tested prior to the move.

When the scanner and server were both on VLAN B (was this way for several years) scanning to a network share worked fine. After the move of the printer/scanner to VLAN A, it prints just fine, but scanning doesn't work. I can ping both ways, routing/ACLs are not the issue.

Obviously scanning is happening at layer 2 (is what my first thought is) which is why it isn't working.

The user scans from the scanner directly to a network share on the server. Their computer isn't part of this process (not until they go retrieve the scan in the network folder, which they can access w/o issues).

I'll have to change the switchport of the switch back to untagged on VLAN B to get them up and running for the scanning they need to take care of over the next few days, but I'd like to try to get this fixed.

Thanks.

EDIT- I can post specific printer/model info when I am back on site, but I don't think this is an issue related to the specific printer model, I believe it is a broadcast separation issue.



No comments:

Post a Comment