Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Ethernet over cable TV coax?

One of our facilities put in cable TV in their break room. There is a cable box by the TV that expects cable TV signal and Internet to come in on the coax cable feeding it.

Upstream on that cable is a splitter (functioning as a combiner, I assume) that connects to the incoming cable and a small consumerish looking cable TV branded wifi/router/firewall via coax. The router has the normal WAN and LAN rj45 jacks you'd expect besides the coax connector (also indicated as LAN).

The TV box will not display program listings unless the router is connected to the Internet. I connected the wifi/router/firewall's WAN port to my guest network VLAN, and by finagling the firewall's settings, got it working. There's a double NAT going on, but it seems to work.

However, I'm not real happy with this setup. I'd rather just eliminate the wifi/router/firewall box and connect the TV directly to my guest VLAN, but I have no idea what to use to connect a 1000Base-T switch port to a coax.

I'm fairly familiar with the OTHER direction - DOCSIS cable modems. But what would I use as a layer 2 bridge between my switch and the coax?

Will a MoCA do what I want?



No comments:

Post a Comment