Thursday, February 15, 2018

Doing 802.1x for wi-fi in a small company without any directory services?

Most of my background is Cisco/Windows enterprises, but I'm helping out a friend's small company as they expand into a new office space. They've got ~25 users on personally owned laptops (mostly Mac and Linux) all using google apps and various other cloud tools, no central user management or directory services.

They'd like to secure their wifi with more than a simple password, and usually my thought is "Well that's easy enough, set your APs to point 802.1x auth to the RADIUS server and set policies referencing against Active Directory." But they don't have any of those and likely won't get them.

What's the best option here?

It's funny, my day job has me living in Cisco WLCs pointed to ACS which references AD, I can spin those up in my sleep. But now when it comes to a network this small I feel like I'm grasping at straws.



No comments:

Post a Comment