Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Best practice on a L3 Switch and VLAN tagging/Interface IP...

I am configuring an L3 in our office to handle DHCP and internal routing.

Last night I had each interface configured for it's respective VLAN and had intervlan routing working with different test PCs I have plugged into said switch.

After presenting the results, my boss wants me to instead give the VLANs the IP address as opposed to the ports handling the VLAN.

I am running into a problem with this (partially because the Cisco ADSM/WebGUI is terrible) and getting the ports I am tagging with the VLAN that has the IP to dish out DHCP.

Does it make more sense to give each interface an IP with it's respective VLAN IP (I guess this would be a sub interface IP) and tag the VLANs I want those interfaces to allow, or should I keep digging until I fix the issue with the VLAN IP and tagging it for the ports using that VLAN?

I hope this makes sense.



No comments:

Post a Comment