Tuesday, January 2, 2018

VPN reconnected after software being removed.

Hello,

I've a question regarding some VPN software.

First i will explaine the situation i came into: Type of VPN: IPSEC, L2TP, PPTP (First came across this matter with IPSEC)

A couple weeks ago i was at a Customer (Customer A), when i received a call from another customer (Costumer B) with some network issues. Both those customers appear to have 10.0.0.x LAN network.

Normally when im at a customer side i have my laptop with me to create a VPN and help Customer B who is calling. In this occasion i did not have my laptop with me but i used a PC in customers A network to setup a VPN connection to Customer B. To create this VPN i need Administrator rights and i was able to setup a VPN.

After creating the VPN i closed the VPN software by Task Manager -> End Process (I know its not the most beautifull way). After i've ended the process i deleted the software from the PC by Control Panel. I left Customer A and went home after i assisted Customer B.

Now the day after i received a call from Customer A that he could not use his printer anymore but just from 1 PC in the network. I've called in to the PC and tryed to reach some network devices but nothing was responding. After a reboot still nothing was responding. I told Customer A that i will come to his side to check it out.

When i got to Customer A i used Advanced IP scanner to check the network devices it could reach, it appears to be that i saw network devices that are not existing in his network... I saw devices of the network i had the day before a connection with a VPN. I tryed to connect to their Windows Server and it worked...

In my oppinion this is very strange after Deleting the software from the PC at Customer A and atleast 2 reboots that i still have a connection with the Customer B network.

Solution: - Reinstall the VPN software at Customer A - Establish a VPN connection - Disconnect the VPN connection (Now i was able to Print again) - Delete the software

Problem solved for Customer A.

I've been able to reproduce this with IPSEC, L2TP, PPTP. I've been able to keep a VPN active for hours while not having the software on my PC with multiple reboots. Its easy to reproduce.

My question in this matter: 1. Should i be able to remain connected with VPN software when the software is deleted? 2. Is this a bug or just normal for all VPN tools? 3. Considering the software requires Admin permissions, it should break the connection when the software is not active?

(I've sended a ticket to the VPN company and they said, nothing is wrong, its a normal behaviour. I do not know if its normal)

Just looking for information, not wanting to call out the VPN provider. I just doubt its normal.



No comments:

Post a Comment