Wednesday, January 10, 2018

SDWAN Overhead

What are your thoughts on this article about SD-WAN overhead?

The author seems to be saying that SD-WAN has lots of overhead, 30% on average and up to 90% or higher in cases. Where is this tunnel overhead coming from? I understand VPN tunnels have a bit (few % I thought), but surely not 90%? Or is he just full of BS?

I'm guessing that I'm not totally grasping SD-WAN.. Here's my understanding, correct where wrong: it's a software application that auto-manages building VPN tunnels between sites as needed, monitors the tunnels for bandwidth, jitter, delay, etc., and routes traffic via the best route for the application (bulk traffic through the jittery high bandwidth tunnel, VOIP through the smooth low latency MPLS link).



No comments:

Post a Comment