Thursday, January 18, 2018

Rewrite AS Path?

I have a BGP neighbor asking me to suppress part of the AS-path of a route I am advertising. My kit is Juniper, but I'm curious about Cisco and other as well. My neighbor wants a shorter path from me so it's more preferred in his table. I'm familiar with path prepending, but I didn't think BGP really likes you modifying the AS-path by removing things.

All I can find is AS-override, which just replaces other ASNs with my own, which still would have a longer path if I understand ti correctly.

The alternative is to create a virtual router/vrf, learn the routes there, then share them to my vrf with OSPF. This would create my AS as the only hop, but is a kludge.

I've asked him to look into weight and localpref, as the whole point of BGP is each AS gets to decide how to route their own traffic, but it's so far falling on deaf ears.



No comments:

Post a Comment