Thursday, January 25, 2018

Nexus VPC question

Hello!

First time I'm posting here so I hope I don't break any rules!

I'm setting up a virtualization environment and using Nexus switches for the first time!

I have two Nexus 9ks connected with 2x 10g twinax cables for peer link and a separate 10g cable for the keep alive. I've configured 2x10g connections as a VPC for the connection back to the core switch and it works perfectly, removing one of the connections doesn't cause any interruptions!

I did a DR experiement today of powering one Nexus off. As expected, everything remains stable :)

I then turned the other nexus off. As expected, VMware becomes inaccessible. I then turned only ONE nexus back on.

And this is where my question comes! Because each nexus is independent (there's no stackwise like with Catalyst), the VPC doesnt come back online, so VMware is inaccesible and worse, the virtual servers inside VMware have no network access.

So in an event where say a power cut results in one of the 2 nexus switches being hosed (say, the motherboard is fried), the VMware environment is completely dead, even if the other nexus is fine.

How do you guys deal with this scenario?

Many thanks for reading and for your time.



No comments:

Post a Comment