Saturday, January 20, 2018

Mechanical vs. Fusion Splice - What would you do?

Hi all,

I am needing to connect 3 buildings (A,B,C) where both B and C need a minimum 12 strands each back to building A (Only one pair will be in use to start). Building C is directly connected to B, and B to A. There is no outside cabling required. I thought it would be fairly simple... have an electrician in to install some 2" conduit from A to B and 1" from B to C, then get them to pull some pre-terminated cable from fs.com along with some spare pull tape. That thinking ended once my electrician reminded me the cable needs to be CSA approved to go into crawl spaces and such.

I've confirmed with fs.com that their cable is not CSA approved and now I'm looking for another vendor that can provide custom length pre-term'd cable that is. My search has not found anyone yet. My question is: should I just get some un-term'd cable and throw some mechanical splices and pigtails on? Or do I make the case to rent (if I can find a rental place) or purchase a cheap splicer (it would be v-groove - no way they'd go for core alignment. Probably something like the Ilsintech Swift F3)? This is for a MDU where each unit has fiber that is currently un-term'd. They would need to terminate this later, but the thinking is that the ISP who would want to use it would take care of that.

The maximum length of the cable needed for the building interconnect is 160 meters. It would be singlemode fiber running 1Gbps. I'd say it will never see 10Gbps, but I know better than to make bold statements like that. Fusion splicing is ideal - no debate on that from me. Unfortunately I don't know that I'll have the funding for it.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.



No comments:

Post a Comment