Friday, January 12, 2018

Marina WiFi Help

Looking to setup an outdoor WiFi network to serve a maximum of about 200 clients at a yacht club. I am not an IT professional, but I’ve dabbled enough to be dangerous. Let me know if I’m on the right track? Is there a technology or brand I should look into?

There are about 60 boats with people who are likely to use WiFi, and I figure each boat could have a few phones, a laptop, and possibly a streaming media device.

The club currently uses a consumer grade router with a high gain directional antenna on land, which is pointed at the docks. This works OK, but the performance suffers at busy times.

I’d like to set up access points on the docks. I’m considering running CAT6 with a POE adapter from the router in the clubhouse, down the docks in liquidtight conduit, to TP-Link WBS 210 base stations, or something similar. POE lets me avoid needing extra receptacles set up. I would probably start with two APs. Should I consider an enterprise router or switch in the clubhouse for the APs?

I am not worried about enterprise security or management. This network is separate from any of the clubs POS systems and would hopefully be “set and forget”.



No comments:

Post a Comment