Thursday, January 18, 2018

Is it possible to get a NAS on one network to show up on other networks?

I'm not really sure how to explain this problem so here we go:

I'm working on an Access database for my dad's company and I need to store the documents that go in the database somewhere that other people in the company can get to them if they have just the Access database file.

My dad and I have a WD MyCloud on our network and you can easily map it as a network drive, grab the file path of the document, and hyperlink it into the database. So then (assuming the drive letter is the same on the computers that have the database file) if we just have the Access database file with the path names, we can both still get to the documents.

Now, upscale this problem a bit.

The company has WD EX4100 NAS drive, but its in a different geographical location. We need to be able to store all the documents there and somehow make the NAS show up as a network drive on the computers using the database.

My hope is that it shows up as a network drive and I can map it easily, but I don't know how to do that or if it's even possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?



No comments:

Post a Comment