Friday, January 19, 2018

Fibre splicing equipment advice?

Just after some advice please! As a security & network installation company we are doing more and more fibre installations; currently we out-source our fibre terminations to a sub-contractor but I'm trying to bring this in-house. I've sent one of my very keen engineers on a fibre installation course and he's come back with some great insight and I just want to check what was good advice, and what was pure "sales pitch" by the course provider (also a manufacturer of equipment). Our current sub-contractor has always terminated the fibre cores with connectors (e.g. LC); my engineer has said he was taught this is not recommended, and instead we should be using a fusion-splicer and pigtails. Is this correct? If so can anyone recommend a good splicer (we're in the UK)? It's quite an investment and I want to make sure we get a good one... I've also seen some for hire, which seems a good idea for a the first few jobs. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. A.



No comments:

Post a Comment