Friday, January 5, 2018

Communicate Between vLANs Without Impacting Primary Router

Let's say I want to get a little crazy and create a bunch of vLANs to segregate different types of equipment:

  • Printers
  • IoT devices
  • Mobile Devices
  • Servers
  • Desktops

Of course each of these segments should be able to communicate with other segments over specific ports. That means I need to use my router to manage all the routes and open ports between the segments. Because I'm sending a lot of ordinary LAN traffic (like print jobs) between vLAN segments, it means my router has to do a lot more work than it does now.

Is this really something to worry about?

I could use a secondary, internal router to route between vLAN segments, but I'd need a way to tell all the devices to route through that router for those destination networks (other than adding static routes to every device).

This is more of a theoretical question, so I'm intentionally not talking about specific equipment or network sizes. Assume under 250 total devices though.



No comments:

Post a Comment