Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Cisco Prime to monitor and alert on down APs

Inherited Cisco Prime at my new gig since nobody here knows it well or has time to learn. I have very limited exposure to Prime and the doco seems very vague and ponderous. Manager and Wireless guys want to use Prime to monitor APs that are in the system and on maps, and send out alerts when they unregister or go down.

I am not sure that is the best solution, I had previously just used SolarWinds to monitor these and send out alerts, but since monitoring is a different team here nobody wants to go that route. Is what they want even really feasible? I see how to configure SMTP alerts, but not seeing how I would monitor APs specifically or configure the alerting logic. The alarms and events I see are all over the place, and not very intuitive at all.

Can anyone offer a 1000ft view of how this would fit together?



No comments:

Post a Comment