Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Cisco ISR1000 WiFi - Can I operate these radios without supporting infrastructure?

I don't know much about the current state of Cisco WiFi, have a project that requires DMVPN routers with:

  • Hardwired WAN connection
  • LTE WAN connection
  • Support for a handful of PoE devices
  • Support for WiFi clients

It needs to fit in a fairly compact package1.

I don't think there's anything in the 800 series ISR family that checks all of those boxes, but I've read a bit about the ISR1000, and think it might.

So...

What's the deal with WiFi on these routers? Can I use it as a standalone (autonomous) AP? No requirement for a controller, ISE, or other nonsense?

Does it configure like a separate box, or is it thoroughly integrated into the router?

Thanks!

[1] Not crazy compact. I had another project which featured an ESR5921 running in an Intel Joule. This one only needs to fit in a large suitcase.



No comments:

Post a Comment