Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Best practice linking 2 switches with 10GbE-CX-4 ports

I currently have two HP Procurve switches that have the majority of my equipment (tv broadcast) connected. From each of the switches I have a home run to the switch that is connected to our cable modem/router. Both of the Procurves have 10GbE CX-4 ports in the back.

Would it be possible/advisable to use the CX-4 port to connect the two switches together and do away with one of the runs to the router? The traffic that these two switches is very low since the majority of the equipment doesn't generate any measurable traffic. The highest traffic would be maybe 10Mbps going over that cable.

Should I move things over to the CX-4 connection or just leave it as it is? I also have a couple of SFP ports on the back of them and have the adapters and fiber patch cables.

I know that it would be simpler to leave it as is, but I'm trying to get more knowledge in networking since that is where my current field is leading.

Thanks



No comments:

Post a Comment