Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Android Device and Cisco Wifi

I've been running into an issue that might only be affecting Android devices (still need to test on some iDevices) that may be related to our Cisco WLC config. I'm leaning towards this because I don't see the same behavior on my home network.

The issue is, when I unlock my device and start getting on Facebook or another app I'll notice things are loading. Usually, at some point, my wifi symbol on my Galaxy S7 gets the exclamation mark. Usually within 5 or 10 seconds after this, it clears up and I can start browsing.

We're using RADIUS with MAC filtering, AAA Override, and ISE set as the NAC State on the WLAN. I don't believe this related to our NAC setup though since I saw this behavior before we re-enabled our NAC setup.

I originally though my device was trying to get to Google DNS which we block. It is trying to get to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 despite receiving DNS settings from DHCP pointing to our internal DNS servers but even allowing that traffic through the firewall for my device doesn't resolve it.

At some point I considered our DNS servers themselves since I had evidence that even my Windows desktop was getting timeouts on nslookups to our primary DNS server, however, we've moved our wireless networks over to two brand new Infoblox appliances.

I'm curious if anyone else has encountered this and might know what the issue is or where I should look next? It certainly isn't the end of the world but it can be very annoying to try to look something up and it end up being faster to just turn wifi off and use my cell connection. This is driving me nuts since an Android phone isn't the easiest thing to do network troubleshooting on.

Thanks!



No comments:

Post a Comment