Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Studying for certs: Read the entire book or just focus on exam objectives?

Curious to get people's opinions and experiences on this. The title question is meant generally but in my specific case I'm working on getting the CWNA cert. CWNA is the second cert I'm working on after getting a CCNA and graduating school a few years ago. I slowly read through the CWNA-106 Official study guide over the course of a few months near the start of 2017 and I started doing a dedicated re-read recently to prepare for the exam.

From looking at the exam objectives linked below though I'm noticing that certain information/chapters in the book(I'm aware of the version differences) don't appear anywhere in the exam objectives. It feels kind of pointless to bother reading and taking notes on 802.11 amendments and clauses and trivia about different frequency bands if none of the test questions actually require it. On the other hand, when I studied for the CCNA I did it over a tighter timeframe and took notes my first time through the book before really checking the exam objectives. I also feel slightly guilty like I'm cheating myself out of more comprehensive knowledge of a subject I'm interested in or shortcutting the learning process in a way where I could still pass but not have learned as much.

http://ift.tt/2jXQei2



No comments:

Post a Comment