Wednesday, December 27, 2017

SMF vs MMF on SRX650

Hello All -

My experience with fiber has been minimal. Basically just 850nm MMF, the orange wires, and thats it. Usually in-rack or jumping to another rack for cabling.

Now I have a cross connect with a counterparty in another datacenter. The ports installed at the patch are SMF. This is my first time using SMF and I have some questions (since I already bought the wrong parts...) as my understanding of SMF is flaky at best. I guess so is my understanding of MMF but I really never had to get in to the weeds with these details before

Is SMF literally just one way per cable? This is my understanding vs MMF which has the two cables for TX/RX purposes but to my understanding and SMF TX or RX per line. I say this because I have 4 total ports installed at the patch and I've been told that they are active/backup. So my best guess is I need 1 cable for the primary to receive and 1 cable for the primary to transmit and again for the backup line - is this correct?

To that end, what SFP's do I need to buy? The only thing I could find was a 1310nm which is SMF but this still has two holes for the fiber wire, which is what is leading me to believe what I ask above is correct. The only single holed SFP I was able to find was 1000BASE-BX which I definitely dont think I need. I have an SRX650 with an 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet SFP XPIM (http://ift.tt/2E20D5c)

Again, way out of my league here so wondering if you can help



No comments:

Post a Comment