Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Small mfg floor/office using Ubiquiti kit

I have been asked by a former co-worker (at an ex employer) who's finally splitting out on his own, to help come up with a list of kit for him to deploy in his new engineering/manufacturing space. It's a small space and won't have that much actual hardware required, but he'll need a few TB of NAS, a 1GBPS switch setup, and Wifi over part of the floor with the ability to easily expand it's coverage.

I'm thinking of Ubiquiti for the switch and wifi portions, and a Synology for the NAS. Easy and affordable, and let's him centrally manage it without a ton of experience (minimizing his calls to me in the future). I just don't know enough about the Ubiquiti line to make the right calls on those parts...

From what I can tell a US-8-60W switch should be fine to come off his ISP router and then feed the APs with the POE ports, and the NAS off of the others.

For the AP's I'm looking at UAP-AC-LR-US because the price point is nice for him, and the long range means he can start with 1 or 2 and possibly get all the coverage he needs at AC speeds.

I don't quite have the sq footage of the place from him yet, but I'm set to get a peek at it in the next week or two. I don't expect it to be more than a standard house size, nice and open without obstructions.

Thoughts from Ubiquiti users/SMEs?



No comments:

Post a Comment