Thursday, December 21, 2017

Small business router recommendation

So I know this is really small time for all of you here at r/networking but I was hoping to get your input. I do some side work for a small tire/mechanic shop and they are currently looking to purchase a router. Their ISP refused to provide the credentials to the supplied router when called and said all they could do is put their device in bridged mode so we can use a third party router. I don't know how common this is but we decided to just purchase one so they had full control over it.

Anyway, the client has 2 workstations that RDP to a Server 2012 box running on consumer grade hardware. From there they run their software to print out receipts, among other things. The only other device on the network is a printer. Everything is wired directly to the ISP router. They don't spend a whole lot on tech and tend to run things until they die. One of the workstations is still running XP for no other reason besides it still works. This is despite many warnings from myself.

Anyhow, I was wondering what you folks would recommend for such a small setup?



No comments:

Post a Comment