Thursday, December 7, 2017

Question about Comcast MetroE Routing

Just got a new MetroE ckt installed at my company and having trouble finding any information on the best practices with how they do their ip addressing.

The issue I have, is they gave me two usable subnets, a "WAN usable" subnet, and a "customer usable" subnet. These subnets are two different ranges, where the WAN usable has a gateway address already assigned to the comcast equipment. The second subnet is a full usable range, with no gateway assigned. I am unsure as to how to bridge these two networks, so that the WAN gateway is the gateway for both unless I disregard comcasts subnet masks and do a larger inclusive mask that accomadates both ranges that they gave me. I also have two exit connections that are on two different portions of my network, and while we prefer to usually bridge our customer layer 3 devices to the ISP WAN layer 3 devices using a layer 2 device, I am not sure how to route this traffic where the second usable separate subnet, would ever route correctly to a gateway on a different subnet.

IP Range examples

1st usable - (50.223.230.176/29) ISP gateway .177 customer router.178 ||| Second usable - (50.223.230.192/27) no assigned gateway

If anyone could help me out with this one on how I get these two networks to talk correctly using the subnet 1 gateway, it would be much appreciated.



No comments:

Post a Comment