Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Question about Bottlenecking vs. a Fat Pipe concept

Hey /r/networking,

This is a noob-ish questino. But I'm trying to remember the names/terms of two networking concepts. And I'm hoping someone can help me out.

Essentially, when you have a 1gb link, you may never use all of the bandwidth for an application(s). It may be because something you have is fighting other applications for that bandwidth. It may be because you aren't generating 1gb of traffic. Either way, I can't remember what this name/concept is called.

The 2nd concept is essentially adding more links/bandwidth to a problem. Yet how that may/'may not' help in any given situation. Lets say an app is generating 50mbsp of traffic. Yet, for some reason, your organization only has a 25mbps link. There was a concept for handing this type of situation. But I can't remember it's name. Meaning I can't research the topic.

I apologize if this is a noobish question. I just can't remember the name of these 2 concepts.

  • bossrhino

edit:

The 2nd concept is saturation. That's what I was trying to remember. That does cover the 1st concept a little bit. But there was a specific term for the first (and I've seen it described here many times before). Again, thank you for any help you can provide.



No comments:

Post a Comment