Thursday, December 28, 2017

Nexus 5k - move an HSRP member w/o downtime?

I have a pair of 5596Ts which are set up as vPC and HSRP peers. They own all SVIs for vlans in a DC. 5k1 is primary, with 5k2 as secondary. They are basically being used as a core and handling all L3 for this location, but doing all 10g server access as well. The only member with orphan ports is 5k1.

Background - A few years ago, having zero Nexus experience, I asked our then-MSP(the guys who built the damn setup) how we could go about physically removing one of the 5ks to begin the process of moving into our (then new) DC. I was told to simply power down, de-cable and have a nice day. Go in after the fact to the remaining Nexus and remove all HSRP and vPC config. Great, except that when I powered off the second unit, all traffic stopped flowing.

Question - I'm now in a situation where I need to bring 5k2 into a different rack. In theory, because everything is HSRP and vPC, I would think that I could power it down, move it and bring it back up without impacting traffic, but history has shown me otherwise. Am I missing something here or do these things completely shit the bed when a member stops responding to heartbeat?

Current OS is 7.1.3 off the top of my head.



No comments:

Post a Comment