Saturday, December 9, 2017

New Construction: Ethernet Cable Stapled to Studs?

Apologies if this is not the right place, but I figured it was worth an ask.

I have a low voltage electrician who just roughed in a bunch of cat6 cables in a new condo. When I went to check it, most of the cables were stapled to the studs as they were routed around the unit. I saw they had used regular staples to attach the cable along its route.

I was concerned because the staples have appeared to pinch several points of the cable, and told the contractor as much. Personally I would never allow a cable to pinch.

He first tried to assure me that they were insulated staples, so any pinching was fine. I told him they did not look insulated, and he replied that the regular staples were probably just fine since cat6 is sturdier. I'm no pro electrician, but I feel like I am being given a smoke show. Can you guys reassure me that the cable is probably not compromised? I feel like doing a speed/integrity test once the ends are terminated will be too late.



No comments:

Post a Comment