Saturday, December 16, 2017

Network Admin Toolbox

Hi guys,

I've been looking around and talking to some neteng's about some of the tools/tricks they have up their sleeves. In an IRC channel I was in, a few people told me to look into RANCID, which I did. I was just about to set it up when someone told me about Oxidized, which I looked into and set up. I searched around here and see a handful of posts about this stuff I intend to read.

For monitoring/graphing purposes, I've always like Cacti and used it, but recently I've also discovered LibreNMS + Observium (yes, I know that they are separate projects etc and one is based off of the other). I'm familiar with PRTG too

What are some other must haves you have that might be useful to others? Like your swiss army knife, but of software. I'm just starting to get into the network side of things and loving it.

I see that there is a link on the wiki to: http://ift.tt/2BjDNVS

However, I'm not looking for recommendations of what you use or what's better than the other, I just am looking for a comprehensive list so I can look into all of them.


TL;DR

Looking for building list of tools, for my own reference. Please contribute what you can!

Graphing/Monitoring

  • Observium
  • PRTG
  • MRTG
  • Cacti
  • LibreNMS

Config management

  • RANCID
  • Oxidized
  • Homebrew git system


No comments:

Post a Comment